A teenager suffered third-degree burns to her face after lice shampoo she had been using caught fire.
In a bid to get rid of them, she applied ‘Full Marks Solution’, a medicated shampoo to her hair, shortly after which she went into the kitchen where her mum was cooking.
Not realising the product was highly flammable, Aleema’s hair suddenly caught fire and her entire head and face were engulfed in flames.
Aleema, who was 12 at the time, was rushed to the hospital where she was placed in intensive care and put into a coma for the next two months.
Looking back at that horrifying incident, Aleema, now 16, said: « I went to the kitchen to get to the bin and whilst I was walking past, my hair caught fire as the medicine was extremely flammable.
« I panicked and went to a state of shock and the only thing I could think was, ‘I’m going to die’.
« I was in a coma for two months so there was no immediate reaction. They slowly built up the amount of time I was awake. »
Aleema, who is now a full-time A-level student, suffered third-degree burns on 55 percent of her body, including her face, head, arms, chest, thighs, stomach, back, and hands – losing seven fingers.
It was a long, agonising road to recovery for Aleema – and it’s not over yet.
She said: « Every day, I have to do nebulisers, humidifiers, pressure garments, splits, creams, medication and much more.
« Every single member of the NHS has been so supportive from the hospitals I’ve been to, including Birmingham children’s hospital, Sheffield children’s hospital, and Pinderfields.
« Internally, I am completely fine. I was also told my hair wouldn’t grow back but miraculously it has. I can still lead a completely normal life. I can drive and do everyday activities. »
Despite everything she has been through, Aleema has used it as a source of strength and she feels more confident that she was before.
« In a way, I am now glad this happened, » she says. « It’s made me into a better person. My self-love and confidence have risen rapidly.
« It’s changed my life for the better. I’m a much stronger, braver and confident than I was before. »
Aleema now uses her TikTok account – @aleemaxali – where she shares make-up tutorials with her thousands of followers.
The teen has also launched a GoFundMe page to help raise money for skin graft surgery on her nose and lips.
Back in 2018, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority issued a warning about how several head lice products, including Full Marks, should be kept away from naked flames.
The Proprietary Association of Great Britain, which represents over-the-counter medicine manufacturers, said at the time: « It is important to reassure people that if used in accordance with the clear on-pack instructions and the patient leaflet information inside, head lice treatments are an appropriately safe way to eliminate head lice and eggs. »
Dominic graduated from the University of Leeds with a degree in French and History. Like you, Dom has often questioned how much use a second language has been. Well, after stints working at the Manchester Evening News, the Accrington Observer and the Macclesfield Express, along with never setting foot in France, he realised the answer is surprisingly little. But I guess, c’est la vie. Contact us at [email protected]
World news – GB – Teen, 16, Suffered Third-Degree Burns After Lice Shampoo Caught Fire