Published: 23:52 EDT, 27 October 2020 | Updated: 01:16 EDT, 28 October 2020
Randwick Council decided on Wednesday to put a pin in the Coogee New Year’s Eve fireworks show this year.
Randwick Mayor Danny Said said the health and wellbeing of the community was their prime concern
Randwick Mayor Danny Said said the health and wellbeing of the community was their prime concern, the Daily Telegraph reported.
‘Ultimately we could not guarantee large crowds could gather safely inline with NSW Public Health Orders given the continued threat of COVID-19.
‘We’re very disappointed to have to make this decision, but I hope people will understand the reason for it.’
Hundreds flock to Sydney’s eastern suburbs for the popular Coogee Carols and Coogee New Year’s Eve fireworks show
He said the council had an enhanced program of Christmas activities which would ‘bring a bit of a joy and fun in what’s been a tough year’.
Sydney’s iconic New Year’s Eve fireworks display is still tipped to go ahead but it will likely be far more toned back than normal.
The event, which typically attracts more than a million spectators to the central city, will be exclusively seen on TV.
Sydney’s world-famous New Year’s Eve firework display (pictured above at Sydney Harbour) will likely be scaled back to stop the spread of the coronavirus
Revellers would be be shifted from public parks and harbour foreshores (pictured) to private homes and pubs to watch the show
Share what you think
No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts,
or debate this issue live on our message boards.
We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook.
Coronavirus, New Year’s Eve, Coogee, Fireworks
World news – GB – Popular Coogee Carols is CANCELLED due to coronavirus concerns