Internet traffic hit record levels on Tuesday when gamers started using the new Xbox Series X console
Virgin Media said it was the busiest day on record, while TalkTalk reported its highest ever network peak in the evening.
The Xbox Series X and its cheaper Xbox Series S alternative, were already sold out in many stores on the day of its launch
Microsoft released the next-gen console on Tuesday, with great downloadable games such as Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and a preload of the new Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War That Reportedly Contributed To The Soaring
Selon Virgin Media, network traffic was 30% higher than the company's October average, with 108 petabytes of data used, or an average of 204 GB consumed per customer
This breaks the last company record, established on 11 June, which coincided with the launch of season four of Call Of Duty: Warzone
Meanwhile, TalkTalk told 9 hours Tuesday to 20 hours, it recorded a spike in network traffic of 685 terabits – the equivalent of 571 hours of HD video per second
Openreach also reported an influx, even if that was not enough to beat the previous busy days 5 august and 9 July.
“Tuesday saw the planned release of the new Xbox Series X, who, according to U.S, needed a big fix during the installation phase, while iPhone users saw a forced iOS software update”, said an Openreach spokesperson.
“We expect a further increase in traffic next Friday with the release of the PS5
“We have not had any major outages during this entire period and we are still monitoring our network to identify areas where we may need to add additional capacity.”
Xbox, Call of Duty, internet service provider
News – FR – Record breaking day for internet use after launch of new Xbox console
Associated title :
– Xbox and Call of Duty lead to record high speed data usage in UK
– Save the day for internet use after launching the new Xbox console
– Save traffic for ISPs when gamers unbox the new Xbox console
– Xbox launch sparked record broadband demand in UK
– Virgin Media sees record traffic on Xbox launch
– The launch of Xbox Series X Launch Contributed to Record Broadband Usage in UK
– Xbox launch and Call of Duty cause internet spike in UK
– Launch of the Xbox Series S launched | X , major exits generate new high speed broadband usage records in the UK
– Call of Duty launches: Black Ops Cold War et Xbox Series X | S would be attributed to " high speed record
– Save traffic for UK internet providers on the new Xbox console